Saturday, January 26, 2013

My Heavenly Father Loves Me, Singing Science Experiment - 2/3 Singing Time

Now that I'm all ready for tomorrow, I was struck with an idea for February 3 that I'm REALLY excited about.  As you might have noticed, I was SUPPOSED to be doing the Singing Science Experiment tomorrow, but I pushed it back to next week (and moved the 'nose' ark to October, what better time to be silly with animal faces?).

The instructions for the science experiment portion are HERE and are copied at the bottom of this post, but the idea is that the kids get to make the water colored and see it bubble.  Since that week's topic is the creation of the world, I think it would be fun to talk about how we are so amazed when we add color to water . . . how much MORE amazing are God's creations?  How much thought and work must each one have taken??  For Him to make so many beautiful things for our enjoyment must mean he really wants us to enjoy earth life, right?

Here is the PREPARATION part - I am e-mailing eight moms (four from junior primary, four from senior) to ask if their child would be willing to prepare for me a drawing, painting, pasted picture, etc of something that reminds them that the world is beautiful.  I've asked them to submit their drawing/picture by Thursday.

SO, I will introduce the song (I do have some popsicle stick prompts that I may use) and will call one child at a time (a total of four) to come up and dip one of the spoons into a cup of water.  The water colors will correspond to colored papers on the board (blue, red, yellow, and green).  If I get really adventurous, maybe I will add two more and ask a couple more kids to help - first I'll see what kind of responses I get from the first eight I asked.  Once the color shows up, I will uncover the picture drawn by one of the primary kids and ask them to briefly tell the others why they chose what they did.

I think the kids will love watching the water change, and I really like to involve the kids by giving them a chance to show off things that are important to them.  I'll let you all know how it actually goes!

How it works (EVERYTHING BELOW COPIED FROM THE SITE LINKED ABOVE):

1) Fill several clear containers (I used plastic drinking cups) with about 3/4 cup water and 1/3 cup vinegar. (the ratio can be varied, but more vinegar= more fizz= more fun! PLACE CONTAINERS on a BAKING SHEET, as this WILL MAKE A MESS!!!!

2) place one small drop of food coloring on a metal spoon (don't use clear, since you can see the color on the other side), then place a heaping teaspoon of baking soda on top, or enough to make sure the food coloring is covered.


3) Have a child come up and pick a spoon to stir in a cup of "water".

It will fizz like crazy and remain clear while fizzing, so make sure they keep stirring.


Once the fizz has settled down, the color will show up.


(notice the water on the bottom of the baking sheet? It WILL bubble over and make a mess. Paper towels would be a good idea to bring...)

3 comments:

  1. A big thank you! Our Primary loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thrilled! Ours did too - I think that's the most reverent I have EVER seen Junior Primary!

      Delete
    2. Today... my Primary Pres. mentioned that it was awesome that I involved science into Primary! I loved the look on the jr Primary faces!! Priceless

      Delete